Walberton in West Sussex is thought to have derived its name from a Saxon farm owned by one of the few women who owned land in Sussex at that time. Her name could possibly have been Wealdburh though different references suggest alternatives and the village has been know by several different names over the years.
In 2000 some village residents produced a Millennium Map and some of these went on to form the Walberton History Group. Since then the History Group has collected a growing number of archives relating to the village and this site is intended to make a few of these available for general use. We have used the Millennium Map coordinates to indicate the location of the places included. It is divided into squares lettered A to K from left to right and 1 to 7 from top to bottom. We hope you find these pages of interest
even though they present only summaries of the subject matter.
Laurel Cottage is one of a short row of buildings probably built in the late 17th Century (see below) At some time in the past Laurel Cottage ..........Click here to download .pdf
By 1800, a brewery was situated at the east end of the village, belonging to Messrs. Ellis and Farnden. By 1845, the Ellis family were the sole owners..... Click here to download .pdf
The Old Rectory and the "restoration of Binsted Church.
The house now called the Old Rectory, Binsted, nearly opposite the 12th Century Church, was built in 1865 by Henry Bones. He had become the new Rector ..... Click here to download .pdf
Barrack Row in Walberton is a terrace of just six small cottages facing the western end of The Street. Their name, as is their origin, is in some doubt but ........ Click here to download .pdf
Did you know that Walberton has its own Roman Villa? In a field alongside the B2132, from the A27 to Yapton at Blacksmiths Corner, Walberton has ....... Click here to download .pdf
Pear Tree Cottage.
Pear Tree Cottage is a timber framed building believed to date from the early 16th century (see report below) with later extensions. It was enlarged eastwards ....... Click here to download .pdf
Brenda Dixon's book "Unknown to History and Fame" mentions Rosslyn when it was occupied by Miss Mary Cole- White who ran a Grocer's shop. Post Office and "dame school" .. Click here to download .pdf
Nothing to do with a unit of currency, nor even of weight. No - this one is where property, lost or stolen or strayed was imP0UNDed. There arenít many around today; youíll find one in Slindon and another in Lavant. If you can't find them, try looking for pinfolds, they're the same. .. Click here to download .pdf
Old Hall Cottage.
Recorded in the Victoria County History of Sussex as the "earliest known secular building" in Walberton, Old Hall was rebuilt after a serious fire which is thought to have been in the 1970's .
Click here to download .pdf
Today, Copse Lane is designated as bridleway No.392 with its southern section used as a private road giving long established vehicular access to the houses on either side. It joins West Walberton Lane from near The Green to the A27 at Potwell Copse and walkers can continue northwards to Slindon and beyond….
Click here to download .pdf
(Location Walberton Millennium Map -E5, TitheMap - plot 231)
From the Norman Conquest the Manor of Walberton together with the other local villages passed through various families until 1540 when it was given to the crown in an exchange arrangement. It returned to private ownership in 1526, the manor included the property which became Walberton House ...... Click here to download .pdf
(Location Walberton Millennium Map -D4, TitheMap - plot 141)
The Parish abounds with Ponds - probably in excess of forty, of which the largest are Stemps Wood, Madonna Pond in Binsted Lane east, another in Binsted Lane west and finally the Pond on the Village Green and it is to this last pond that reference is now made. Click here to download .pdf